Monday, December 19, 2011
Princess feathers finally getting underway ...
I have finally started on my princess feathers. I received the pattern in March - only 10 months to get things up and running! I had a short delay while I found the perfect background fabric - one of Moda's essential dot patterns. Then the biggest delay came with my health. I had wanted to do this all by hand but my hands weren't cooperating with me. (I was also just finishing up the civil war bride quilt all by hand.) Unfortunately the arthritis in my hands won. My friends finally convinced me to use machine applique. So ... I have used hand applique for the stems and circles and machine applique, with decorative stitches for the larger pieces. Part of me feels very guilty about not using hand applique for this glorious quilt. The other part is happy to just start seeing it getting done.
I choose to use repro fabrics, making the feathers in blues and purples and flowers in reds, golds, oranges. I wanted the centers to blend more with the background so I chose a print in a similar value. The wonderful birds will be some of everything. I think now that the first block has been completed, I will make faster progress on the quilt. The guilt will probably remain though :(
P.S. ... the close up of the stitches is not true color. The stitches around the feather are closer to the color of the fabric than they appear in this photo. I used a buttonhole stitch that places additional stitches outside which seems to highlight the edge more. It looks better in person.
I look forward to peoples' feedback.
Judy Elliott in Oklahoma