Monday, December 19, 2011

Princess feathers finally getting underway ...



















I have finally started on my princess feathers. I received the pattern in March - only 10 months to get things up and running! I had a short delay while I found the perfect background fabric - one of Moda's essential dot patterns. Then the biggest delay came with my health. I had wanted to do this all by hand but my hands weren't cooperating with me. (I was also just finishing up the civil war bride quilt all by hand.) Unfortunately the arthritis in my hands won. My friends finally convinced me to use machine applique. So ... I have used hand applique for the stems and circles and machine applique, with decorative stitches for the larger pieces. Part of me feels very guilty about not using hand applique for this glorious quilt. The other part is happy to just start seeing it getting done.



I choose to use repro fabrics, making the feathers in blues and purples and flowers in reds, golds, oranges. I wanted the centers to blend more with the background so I chose a print in a similar value. The wonderful birds will be some of everything. I think now that the first block has been completed, I will make faster progress on the quilt. The guilt will probably remain though :(


P.S. ... the close up of the stitches is not true color. The stitches around the feather are closer to the color of the fabric than they appear in this photo. I used a buttonhole stitch that places additional stitches outside which seems to highlight the edge more. It looks better in person.


I look forward to peoples' feedback.


Judy Elliott in Oklahoma

20 comments:

  1. Your button hole stitch is absolutely beautiful, I'm glad that your are finding the time to work on your feathers. Can't wait to see more of your progress. Love the fabric choices

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful color you have. And beautiful applique. Sorry to hear of your hands, but honorable that you can stitch by machine. Love to follow your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks lovely Judy! Reproduction fabrics would work beautifully with this quilt. Love your fabric choices. I think your machine appliqué is wonderful, I can barely sew a straight line by machine. Kim McL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy, I think the roproduction fabrics are very pretty and the background fabric is just right with the fabrics. I think your blanket stitch applique stitches look just fine. I do alot of blanket stitch applique and it holds up just fine, thru washings and all. Happy Stitching!
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Machine embroidery can be spectacularly gorgeous. I'm sorry you have to let go of the hand work that you loved doing, but if you put your heart into your machine work, it will show and be beautiful applique. Don't you worry - watch and see. :) This is a really neat project you've got going.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judy I think the important thing is that you are doing it. Maybe it is in a different style to what you would like to do but the result is still pretty special. You just keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it. Don't feel guilty. Question is do you like doing it? That's the important thing i think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Princess Feather is beutiful! I think you chose the perfect background. I really like the colors/fabrics you're using too.
    I think you have to stop being so hard on yourself about the machine work? It looks wonderful and adds a bit more texture and interest to the design.
    I made a quilt with this pattern a couple of years ago and I'm thrilled to see someone else doing it. I look forward to seeing your progress on this beauty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. Wouldn't have thought of those fabrics but they sing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for your generous and encouraging comments. It has helped to validate my block and make me feel less guilty about combining techniques. I already have "feather fabric" picked for the next block. Hopefully you will see that one soon too.

    Thanks again.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Judy, your quilt is absolutely stunning and I am so impressed with the colors and fabrics you chose. Remember, machine applique is just another alternative and doesn't lessen the joy of your quilting unless you let it. In fact, the buttonhole stitch can be relaxing and soothing because you can get it so precise on the machine. At least you can still quilt and that is much more important than by hand........enjoy!! It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think your block looks wonderful with the buttonhole stitches. A different look but equally as wonderful and you'll end up with a gorgeous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your work is really beautiful. I like doing hand applique too, but will be taking a class on machine applique in January.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks marvellous -please don't feel guilty about not doing it by hand. Machine. Appliqué is a brilliant way to go.Lok forward to seeing more

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your colors and your appliqué. I think you shouldn't feel bad at all. The extra texture added by the machine stitches add to your work. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh....I love this....I just love Applique!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Id like to wish you and your family a merry Christmas, and to thank you so much for being a reader on my blog Amish Stories. Richard

    ReplyDelete
  18. Judy, I know what you're going through with your hands; I'm having problems as well. The way you have to look at it is this-if you do some by machine, it will save your hands for the rest. Your block is phenomenal; don't beat yourself up over it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your unique color choices! Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful block, Judy. Your colors and fabric choices are rich and warm. There is room for hand and machine work in the world of quilts. It is absolutely lovely and you are SEWING!!! : )

    ReplyDelete