Saturday, February 18, 2012
" Pandemonium Quilt" - top middle section
The photo shows the top middle section - this is the area next to the "folly" block, see post last week. I love the wheel block, have added a bit of applique to the corner patches of the block. I thought it needed something to balance out the stripes on the "serape" fabric. I love using stripes in blocks like this, the fabric make a pattern of its own. This block is 15"x15". The block down is the 4 stars one, the right top star is a bit dodgy, it sort of dribbled a bit, the fabric choice is a bit off, I think the contrast is too low. I would have preferred to use the "ombre" fabric in the browns but at the time I didn't have enough fabric to fussy cut the 8 star points. I did put some applique in the empty spots but may be it is a bit of an overkill ! Another option, you can use a feature print in the middle of the 4 stars or may be leave it alone and let the stars stand on their own. Next to it is the "flower petal" block, I used the "kirman" fabric and it did make the fabric look like the swiss cheese after fussy cutting the petals. A horizontal stripe fabric would be nice here too. This is another block you have to be careful when cutting the corner background patches. The patch goes to a line and you can't make a template with a line, so, you"ll have to measure 6" from the 90 degrees corners and mark the line before you cut the patch - see previous post on the 6 pointed star. These two blocks are 12"x12".
The applique panel to the left is " the pond" - I'll do another post with this one later. The applique panels and pieced blocks are separated by little pinwheels and print squares. Will post more soon! Kim McL