Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Trees Top


In deference to Lee, who asks for more activity on Glorious Applique, I'm posting my just finished adaptation of Kim's Trees of the Four Seasons.  I love pieced quilts with applique borders, so I adapted this pattern with that in mind.  I sort of thought it would go faster.  WRONG.  169 pieced 4" blocks took forever, but I liked the scrappiness possibilities of the design and the diagonals created by the subtle color contrasts which sort of refer back to Kim's original center design of the leaves.  My idea to downsize the quilt to 75% so it would fit on my design wall didn't quite work, so pardon the back lighting on the side borders.  It finishes at 67.5" square.
Appliqueing the borders was the most fun, and I did those first.
Now is anyone else working on Trees?  I'm thrilled to see more Roseville Album blocks and tops, and surely someone out there is working on Kim's medallion.  So I join Lee in hoping more of you will post soon!


16 comments:

  1. Very cool! I would post on my progress with my Lollipop Trees if I could remember how...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is magnificant...what a work of art. absolutely beautiful!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with all the comments--too gorgeous. There is SO much to look at, from the adorable animals, the big splashy yellow flower lower left, pink dot background (brilliant) and all the scrumptious scraps. And of course my favorite Tula Pink stars are the ideal complement. I am not sure I would ever have the nerve to design from the outside in--but you made it look easy. Congratulations on a long winter's work! It just proves again how versatile Kim's delightful patterns are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! This is a gorgeous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cool-I love the animals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marion, whatever you felt while doing this quilt, it's done and it's beautiful! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had coffee this morning with Marion , who showed off this wonderful quilt top. It is so much more beautiful in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee, what a surprise to find you here, VN. Thanks for giving me some great advice on a quilting design.

      Delete
  8. Wow Marion, it's sensational. I love everything about it. The colours you've used really speak to me and inspire me to get gong with my own

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Marion, I love it!! Have always loved these blocks, must make a scrappy quilt like yours. I think the borders went very well indeed. K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. Scrappy quilts were my first great love, and I have enough Kaffe scraps to keep me going for years. And now I'm just drooling over your dogs block already!

      Delete