Thursday, November 3, 2011
Finished my Lollypop Trees top...
I love it! I had quite a mix of old and new Kaffe prints as I just kept buying and buying them. It does measure square, I put it on the grass and photographed it off the deck so this is from 15' up. I started mine in February and finished it last night.
When I did the sashing I made pairs of blocks, then sewed pairs of pairs together without cutting between them. I continued down the line and that was helpful in the sewing to sew multiple strips at a time. I did pin the sashing strips to the quilts because I wanted it to line up exactly. Offset corners would show up with the black.
These are my Kaffe fabrics I have left - most are 1/8 of a yard or so. I am going to cut them into 4.5" width strips and make the backing out of them. The design I am going to use is based on this one:
Volume in Scraps from Scrap Republic by Emily Cier. Her quilt in the book is only about 60", I think, so I am making 15 columns of 4" strips which should come out to 100". I might add another strip in there so the machine quilter will have enough of a backing.
Thanks for sharing this journey with me. I don't know when I'm going to make another Kim McLean quilt - I need to do this backing, then I have Lilly Pilly to make.