Thursday, November 3, 2011

Finished my Lollypop Trees top...


 I love it!  I had quite a mix of old and new Kaffe prints as I just kept buying and buying them.  It does measure square, I put it on the grass and photographed it off the deck so this is from 15' up.  I started mine in February and finished it last night.  


When I did the sashing I made pairs of blocks, then sewed pairs of pairs together without cutting between them.  I continued down the line and that was helpful in the sewing to sew multiple strips at a time.  I did pin the sashing strips to the quilts because I wanted it to line up exactly.  Offset corners would show up with the black.


These are my Kaffe fabrics I have left - most are 1/8 of a yard or so.  I am going to cut them into 4.5" width strips and make the backing out of them.  The design I am going to use is based on this one:


Volume in Scraps from Scrap Republic by Emily Cier.  Her quilt in the book is only about 60", I think, so I am making 15 columns of 4" strips which should come out to 100".  I might add another strip in there so the machine quilter will have enough of a backing.  

Thanks for sharing this journey with me.  I don't know when I'm going to make another Kim McLean quilt - I need to do this backing, then I have Lilly Pilly to make.  

16 comments:

  1. Fabulous, fabulous! And fast! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on a very lovely finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantabulous finish! Congratularions. Love the idea of a pieced backing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on a lovely and so beautiful finish. I can´t wait to se the backing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beauty.
    The Lollipop trees look so nice with black background.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your lollipop quilt is so beautiful, isn't it wonderful to finish one of these beautiful quilts . Can't wait to see what you do next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt is great. That is going to be one spectacular back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful! Seeing the individual blocks, I didn't anticipate how cool that black background would look with the sashing and borders. Your backing idea looks like a lot of work but will look wonderful. Makes me rethink my backing ideas. Are you keeping this quilt to enjoy yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a very fine quilt! Well done. I am so fascinated by the backing you plan to piece. It will be a worthy partner to the front.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a quilt!!! It is absolutely stunning, well done! Love the idea for the backing. You'll have to show us the photo when you've finished sewing the backing. Hope you're going to send this quilt to a quilt show somewhere? Kim McL

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a spectacular quilt. Well done ....the colours are very jewel-like. Nice idea for the back too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh your Lollypop trees are divine and I love what you are going to do with the leftovers. Can't wait to see it quilted, it will be like two stunning quilts in one!! xo

    ReplyDelete