Thursday, December 16, 2010

Stars and Sprigs 13-16

The photo above has the appliqué blocks 13, 14, and 15 for the Stars and Sprigs quilt that I am making. As you can see, I also made a few more stars. I have cut about 15 stars; but I am sewing them thinking of light and dark star as needed. My blocks are looking like a garden through the seasons. Some reminds me of spring, others summer, and quite a few of fall.
The photo below is block 16 all pined and ready to sew. I usually look at the photo of Kim's quilt that came with the pattern and try to find the block I am working on. When I looked at her picture, I noticed that her block 16 has an extra leaf that is not in this pattern. See the orange flag? That is the leaf that I added. Kim gave us hundreds of leaves to choose from; but I had to draw my own for that spot. Just feels like my connection to Kim's genius. I have also started my first border. It only has brown twigs so far; and it is looking a lot like my real garden -all winter.

10 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to see someone else posting these blocks. They look fantastic. I love how there are so many that you can do the seasonal colurs and they all look so good in the quilt. I can't wait to see it grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blocks are gorgeous! With each addition your quilt will get better and better. Some blocks sing softly, and others will belt out the chorus? ;)
    Once you start adding leaves to that border it will surely look like Spring is coming, rather than like Winter? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those star blocks are beautiful! I think those are the first I've seen with such a close-up view and I really like the way you chose your fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inspirational! Your colors are trendy and fresh. I love it. After the holidays, when things slow down, I'm starting another applique project... I just have to after seeing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. FABULOUS!!! Your blocks are looking just beautiful!!! Thank you SEw much for sharing your journey with us. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your fabric choices are fantastic. The stars are great I was tryiing to decide which star I like the most, but couldn't choose. Fabulous! Happy Holidays from a cold and snowny Holland

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have that pattern out to start on New Years...it is fun to see other colorways being used!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blocks look fantastic together. Best thing of applique is the freedom to make changes and no one knows any different. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVELY blocks!! Such cheerful colours, well done.
    Good for you to add your own leaf! I might have forgotten to draw in the leaf in the block or I might have put a coffee splat and have to cover it. Feel free to add / subtract bits, it is your quilt and make it personal. This is always fun to do. Well done & keep up the good work & you'll be finished like Janet Quiltsalott in no time at all. I just love seeing all the quilts getting sewn up, it is very gratifying! cheers, Kim McL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Everyone for the lovely comments. It warms my heart. I am having so much fun with this quilt that is should be illegal.:-) Happy Holidays to all and happy quilting in 2011. Kim, it is so very nice to have your generous comments. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete