Tuesday, January 11, 2011

TIP FOR THE DAY & CIRCLES

I found this is an easy way for cutting out many templates at a time. I have numbered both pattern and paper templates and when I get done cutting one out I just pin it in place on the paper pattern. Since I use a plastic overlay I remove several cut pieces and lay them in place on background fabric and pin, now ready for needle turning applique. I'm about ready to start cutting out the left side panel and will cut out the entire panel doing it this way. This is a good way to decide if you like the fabric layout.

I thought I would give information again about doing circles. I know most of you probably already know this but I'm reading that many more are starting to learn and are using Kim's patterns. Since there are so many circles in the quilt I've decided to make lots of them at a time. I had a stack of small pieces, too big to throw away but plenty big enough to make circles out of. No fussy cutting here! I've used PERFECT CIRCLES by Kay Buckly and made several of my own using heat resistance plastic maylar. Using stronger thread such as quilting thread to gather. Stitch around the circle close to the edge. Do not knot at the end, just overlap by one stitch and leave a "tail". Pull the tail and gather it around the plastic circle.


Next I quickly press on smooth side and turn over. I use spray starch, sprayed into the cap and small paint brush. Dab the starch onto circles and hold iron on them to dry then turn back over and use iron again to dry completely. Wait until cooled and then over the beginning and end gathering stitch use your fingernail or object like very small crochet hook to loosen gathering and take it off the plastic circle. Use the tail if needed to pull back into shape. The starch will help keep its shape and easier to sew.
You can leave basting thread in or take it out, your choice. I have made 76 so far and probably have that many more to do. Hope this information will help. As soon as I get the 50+ circles on right side panel I will post.

11 comments:

  1. I do exactly the same thing for making my circles. Kay has made two packs of circle templates - a smaller set that goes from about 3/8" (I believe) up to 2" and then a larger set that goes from 2 1/4" up to 4 1/2". These have been life savers ... and sanity savers for me.

    My technique is very similar to Julee's but I use Mary Ellen's "Best Press" and just spray it on the fabric circle, let it soak it somewhat and then pull the threads tight and iron it until dry. I like Mary Ellen's as it doesn't seem to leave a residue and it makes those edges nice and crisp. I also make them by "mass production" - bunches at a time. It's a good night time task - when the natural light is gone for stitching but you can still be working on your quilt.

    By the way Julee, I have never seen an iron surface so shiney that you can see a reflection!!!! Way to go girl in keeping it that clean!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a Rowenta travel size iron, and does a good job of staying hot. Actually I have 3 irons on my board, Rowenta travel, standard one for regular ironing and last one for using any iron on stablizers (bought a real cheap one for this). But I only have one sewing machine, go figure....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love thse circle templates. What a great idea to premake a pile, I'll have to do that in future. I like using the quilting thread for gathering, it doesn't break when you pull those gathers in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I knew how to make a good circle but I've picked up some handy tips here. I always knotted at the end of the circle, not any more. Can't wait for my next appliqued circle to try this tip. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah. I do this too. I keep a jar of circles in a variety of colors and diameters. The jar looks pretty sitting on the studio shelf, but it is quite useful too! I often times "purse string" around circles while a passenger in the car, on the train or while waiting...on hold, in-between things, you know?! Then when I have a bunch of circles readied with the running stitch, I sit down and make a oile of Perfect Circles using this same method! I have found, for the really small circles, using the eraser tip of a pencil to be VERY helpful instead of my big fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you so much! i need all the help i can get with these little circles! mine are so clunky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for sharing your techniques on how you come up with such beautiful work. As always...it is awe-inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought Karen Kay Buckley's perfect circles last year. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have KKB's small set of circles-they've paid for themselves many times over! Thank you Julee, for the idea of doing them in bulk; I've always done them 2 or 3 at a time.
    I do have a question though. I have a real problem when I'm hand appliqueing and the circles are starched stiff. Do you have some advice about that?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't think they were that stiff for sewing. As I said, I used paint brush and dabbed it on, maybe it is the brand of starch or getting way too much starch on circles. I press first then add starch this seems to be enough to help hold the crease and they don't feel that stiff when I take the plastic out. Guessing you are using too much starch, try less and see how that works for you.
    I'm enjoying all the postings and comments on this blog site.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just started making my perfect circles, and I took my thread at the end of gathering, and placed a pin in where the thread is pulling it tight.. then wound the thread over and under over and under in a figure 8. This holds it tight while I starch and iron it.. keeping it nice and in shape. When it is dry, I then remove the pin, loosen the thread just enough to get the perfect circle out, and then re-tighten to shape it perfectly again.. press from the right side.. these work GREAT!

    ReplyDelete