Monday, March 28, 2011

New Tip and almost done!




Thought I would show you what I've gotten done so far. I have 2 borders done and one corner block.

I had a mishap on all of my corner blocks. I took them with their cut out pieces for each block with me on my week vacation, which I sewed only on two nights. I spilled coffee in my sewing basket and didn't know it until I got home. The coffee soaked thru all blocks and some of my thread. I soaked and washed all of it but on 2 of the background pieces I could see a slight color difference. Since I'm going to do competition with this quilt I decided to start over, had one block almost done and partially another. I have since cut out the pieces that were sewed and I had just enough background to cut the 4 blocks out again, soooo glad I bought extra as it was on SALE.


As i usually do, I made some changes. I didn't put the birds in the corner blocks as I didn't want any birds upside down so I used the 2" circles and a smaller size circle to create this flower. Also changed the borders, using many flowers from the center adding little birds and added a cat and there will be 2 cats on top and bottom borders. I may add more circles but will decide this when I get it all set together.


TIP FOR THE DAY - I have left the selvage on my out side borders (remember to allow seam allowance for the pattern placement). I do this when possible because it helps to stop strecthing while sewing and quilting. I will cut it off after I'm done quilting and before I add my binding.

9 comments:

  1. I'm SO glad to hear you had more of the background fabric. You must have been just sick to see coffee all over everything? : (
    Your borders look fabulous! I really like the changes you've made to the block and borders. They are what make your quilt unique and extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julee, so glad you had more fabrics. Your quilt is looking so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had such a sinking feeling as I read about your coffee--I live in fear that someone (likely me) will spill onto my finished blocks. And so lucky that you had enough extra fabric. It must feel so great to be getting so close to being finished--I'm excited to see it all sewn together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how beautiful! Those leaves are just gorgeous! So very glad you had extra fabric but it could surely happen to most of us, sitting there with applique on our laps and coffee cup in hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julee, what a fabulous block, lucky you've got some extra fabrics! The borders are looking great too! Kim McL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, how heartbreaking to have to replace the blocks. Coffe is so hard to get out. The corner block looks fabulous with the circles, I love it. Congratulations on the borders too, stupendous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so exciting to see you are so close to a finish on this quilt. It is wonderful--very lively and exciting. You have a coffee disaster soulmate in me. Sadly, I did not buy extra fabric (but I sure will next time!), but luckily my spilled coffee washed out after a long soaking. I'm sure you are happier that you replaced the blocks, but I'm sorry for the extra work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry about the coffee incident, but I am thrilled that you found your background fabric.. I know that spring is almost here and your blocks definitely are vibrant and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete