Sunday, March 6, 2011

Turkish Tiles

Recently there was a reference to Kim's "Turkish Tiles" quilt.  It is stunning and unsurprisingly won a judge's choice award in Houston at the International Quilt Festival in 2004.  Once again, one of Kim's quilts graced the cover of Quilters Newsletter Magazine


I was lucky enough to start this quilt in 2005/6.  Just like all of Kim McLean's patterns, there is a lot of detail.  It is a combination of piecing and applique and is 91" sq finished.   The border is made up of 24 blocks, each measuring 10" square.   Here is the extent of my work


Sadly, it is on the backburner but with the encouragement of this blog may move to current project status soon.

9 comments:

  1. Your quilt is very nice. It looks like it took a lot of time to make. I'll be interested in seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cool. I love the center fabrics - I couldn't really see those fabrics on the magazine until I clicked to make it larger. This quilt is a very unusual design. Is this pattern for sale somewhere? Will you keep going on yours to finish out like the magazine cover? You could stop where you are and it would be nice - but those borders are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to know Kim's quilt was on a 2004 QN cover. I plan to look for it in my back issues, but I may have discarded it before I was tuned in to Everything Kim. Yours looks like a project well worth finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really should move this quilt to "working on" status soon. I love the quilt and I love your version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that your excitement for this project gets revved up once again. It will be fun for us to watch as you add blocks/rounds to this fabulous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your center fabrics are adorable. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your compliments make me very heady. Perhaps I will keep on with this quilt. I agree that it deserves some attention. If you have back copies of QNM, look at November 2005 for this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've put so much into this one already, I'd love to see it progress because it's fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's looking lovely thus far, why don't you keep going, the border blocks shouldn't take that long, they were fun to do Liz.
    To Teresa in Houston, no there is no pattern for this quilt, I can't even find the drawings for this quilt anymore! Kim McL

    ReplyDelete