Monday, October 25, 2010

My Process

I thought I would show you how I am going about doing the side panels of the Roseville Quilt. There are over 150 pieces and the idea of picking out fabrics is way outside my comfort zone.
First I numbered each piece on the pattern and gave it a color. I used the picture as a reference for colors but I also switched some out to something I liked.

 I traced all the pieces on freezer paper, wrote down the number and the color and cut them out. I separated them into sets 1-10, 11-20, 21-30 and so on, to make it a little easier to keep track of.


Next I laid out all my fabrics on the kitchen table, there was a lot more than I thought....It was a lot easier to see what I had and to make sure certain colors look good together.




As you can see not a lot of brown, yellow or orange. I might need to beef them up!


Then I just went up and down the kitchen table and picked out a color that was written on the freezer paper. I didn't spend a lot of time choosing a fabric just went for a variety of colors. It worked pretty well, I only changed a few colors that were either too similar or just really didn't work.

Next I traced around them and cut them out. I kept them in their sets, because once the paper comes off I wanted to make sure I didn't spend hours trying to match them back up.


I then decided to test them right on the pattern. My background fabric is a light color with very pale blue polka dots, so the pattern color worked for me.
It took me 2 days to do this with all the pieces but I think in the end it was worth it. I now have to cut out the stems and start the applique process. Most likely I will only glue down a few at a time because it is a long piece of fabric.

Tonight, after 2 days of fabric all over the kitchen, my husband said "The show Hoarders called, they are coming over".

Kelly

16 comments:

  1. Great info............We all need to acknowledge the complexity of this project. Beautifull choices..Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an interesting system. It's fun seeing how others go about the process of choosing their fabrics and keeping organized.
    That might be the biggest kitchen table I've even seen! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so organized. I'll have to keep this kind of method in mind for my next large applique project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SPECTACULAR, Kelly!!! I'd come over to sit at THAT kitchen table any day. ; ) Funny!!! It's probably a good thing that your husband has a sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Kelly!
    Thank you for sharing your method. I think it would be perfect for me! I think choice of fabric is going to be my biggest stumbling block with the RA quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a wonderful pile of fabric on your table. It will work so well in your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic fabrics, thanks for sharing your process, I'm not doing Roseville yet but I think I will put your method into the memory banks for later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous to see how you came to choose all your colours Kelly, I love seeing how other people create their wonderful quilts. Yours is looking gorgeous. Love your hubbys comment. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really liked your fabrics, love your organization also. That is really a good idea on how to lay out your fabrics, it seems like when I put a block together, my fabric is everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, thanks for sharing your great way of prepping a panel. It is a challenge to choose the fabrics for the panels.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your process. Your husband is a hoot and sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good way to figure out how to pick the fabrics. This is the way I do it, as stated on earlier post, separating geometric & florals then by color groups. The only difference is I don't have a table or a room that big! ;>D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I work in a similar way only I put my fabrics onto the pattern sheet first to see if they will go with the previous block...Great table you have there..it's so long...Great Block.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  14. very inspiring, thank you for your sharing

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are certainly well organized Kelly! I do the same thing too, except not quite that tidy. Much easier to get the prep work done in the one go isn't it. Love the way you set out doing this post, it's really clear. Hope you'll post the photo of the panel soon! Kim McL

    ReplyDelete