Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Well, so far, so good. This is a picture of my first completed block from Flower Pots. I am doing this in the Asian/Oriental fabrics and am very happy with the results. The background has some shimmery lights to it so the silvers and golds of the applique fabrics work great. The second small block is almost done...I only need to do one more star...messed up the original star I had made so have to redo it.
The story of the third block which is the long panel on the right side of these blocks is sad. Since I am not used to working with large blocks of fabric for applique, I was folding the fabric so it would be easier. NOT a good idea! Actually, you could say it was a BAD idea. I like to snip the background under the applique so that it is easier to pull out the freezer paper after I am done and it has been soaked. Well, I bet you can guess what happened ... Yup ... with the fabric folded over I was snipping 2 areas ... one right where I wanted it to be snipped, and oh yes, another one underneath where I really didnt want it to be snipped. The first time I did that I was going to be able to put my applique over it so I used some Fray Block on the spot and continued appliquing above it, but woe is me ... I did another snip for another spot of applique, and yep, did the snipping again on the underneath and this time I am not going to be able to use it ... so I am going to stop on that particular piece, hopefully be able to save some of the background for smaller pieces and start over on another background panel. And of course, my applique is so small, that I really am not going to be able to take the pieces off to use again so will have to remake them. And yes, I really wanted to thank those who responded to my earlier question of the bias vines and suggestions of ways to do them ... I am using the basting on the vines ... what a concept! it is really a lot easier way to do it. More later on my continuing saga of this quilt .... never give up!! never give up!!! (alberta)