Sunday, August 22, 2010
Just a little distraction
I just couldn't help myself, the Roseville has been like an itch that needed to be scratched. I'm sure a little test block will suffice at this stage.
Background decisions aren't hard, it was between these two spots, the grey is chalk and the other is water spots. I put a few pieces on for auditioning.
Water spots won but the chalk will definitely be for the next quilt on the list. I love spot fabric so much that I even made a whole quilt with all spots and dots which just made me love them more. You can see it here.
I think I should go and stand in the corner, I feel like the kid in class that got caught doing something other than what I should be.
I put my blinkers back on for the Stars and Sprigs. Happily the stems are now all down for border number two.
Normally I'm a die hard needle turner with a toothpick chaser but I've mixed it up for this quilt. I'm using Floriani stitch and wash tearaway to prep my leaves and buds. It's a fusible and used with a cool iron, I can slit the backs and get the tearaway out after washing. The fusible in it is water soluble but the tearaway has never dissolved away in any tests I've done.
I've used a glue pen to turn the seam allowances down. I wouldn't use this method for anything that wasn't a simple shape or needed super thin points or little curves such as in the Roseville.
After this quilt I think I'll be going back to needleturn because the less prep the better. I like to get to the stitching part as soon as I can.