Thursday, September 9, 2010

My Tools



Pictured are some of my tools. I use the light box to trace the pattern on my background in washable blue ink. This helps me in placement of all my applique pieces. Also by using the light box I can see through the original pattern to trace onto my freezer paper. I just turn over the tissue paper which is very easy to see through and trace the applique patterns and they are automatically reversed ready to use. I do number the pieces on the tissue pattern and also on my freezer paper pieces. I also try to remember to cut a spot through on my freezer paper and then also the background so after soaking my piece when it is done to rinse out the blue and wash out the glue stick it is a lot easier to pull out the freezer paper. I use Invisafil and also silk thread and have been happy with them. I do use a lot of light grey when I don't have the exact color. I use Mary Arden of England Applique needles which can be ordered online.

I guess the most important and MOST necessary tools for me are my tweezers which I bought over 25 years ago when I got my first serger. I use this for everything and am absolutely lost without them, and the other thing I have to have are my Mageyes. Cant see anything without them. I also use Sewline glue pen and Fray Block rather than FrayCheck as it dries clear and you can sew through it. (alberta)

6 comments:

  1. Mmmm. I also like your tub of threads and the variety of scissors you have there, Bertie! I the pair with blue handles the Mundial serrated scissor? By the way, your block is looking lovely... ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't light boxes fabulous? I use mine a lot! Thanks for sharing some of your method too, I love seeing how other people do their applique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you find the fabric fray a lot whilst doing the applique Alberta? Are you cutting away the fabric as you sew along or do you cut away at the beginning? I cut away the fabric as I sew, I find this way is easier on the fraying problem.
    Your flower pots panel is looking lovely though! Kim McL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have similar tweezers, dental ones that are great for postitioning under an overlay. The Kai scissors are the sharpest I've ever used, I can be a bit dangerous with them if I'm not careful. Thanks for showing your tools.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your tools--fun to see! I really appreciate your fray block instead of fray check hint--I use fray check often for non applique things, but I hate the way it changes the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dont have problem with the fabric fraying as I use the freezer paper with glue method... ironing the freezer paper template onto the back of the fabric, trimming the fabric and then glue so that I can then applique to the background. I will take a picture later of my method and then post it. I have tried needle turn a lot of times but just never seemed to get the hang of it. yes, the one pair of scissors are serrated that a friend gave me and I have lots of Kai scissors. they are very sharp and do a top job of snipping...dont ask, I already told you about snipping in the wrong place

    ReplyDelete