Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Tools of the Trade

I thought it might be fun and informative if people posted a photo and description of their preferred tools for applique. As a new needle turner I am always keen to hear about a tool or tip that will make my needle turning easier and better, and my own tool box is a mix of things I have seen others talk about on the innernets, or have been fortunate enough to see someone using in 'real life' (a much rarer occurrence unfortunately!). Some of the items I have used on wool felt projects (huge Sue Spargo fan) or standard embroidery. Hopefully this kind of post is ok!

7 comments:

  1. I'm always nosey, I mean interested in the tools others use. I think that's a great idea for posting, lets call it tool tag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea Kellie, I too love seeing how others create their masterpieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that a knitting needle protector on your scissors? what a good idea Kellie, it would put a stop to someone in the house using it as a screw driver!! Did you actually learn to applique from the internet? I learnt my applique from a book and trial & error. Wonderful thing this internet, Janet put me onto a site where rug hooking was shown. No, decided I better stay out of rug - hooking! Kim McL

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Kim - yes, that is a point protector from my knitting tool kit on my scissors, lol! That fixed those pointy little buggers! And yes, I have learnt my applique from the fabulous internet - YouTube has a wealth of helpful little videos! And I just have to take a bit of a Fan Girl moment to say how very much I LOVE your designs and your fearless use of colour and pattern. Lollypop Trees was the first design I saw and i was gobsmacked at its awesome beauty. I have to pinch myself that i am now making my own. It has certainly lit the fire for me and needleturn! One day i will conquer the Roseville Album quilt - amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a wonderful post, Kellie! I love the sharing of information taking place here. We all can learn from one another. ; ) I have a list of notions I use for applique - it's on my blog under tutorials...feel free to take a peek.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kellie,
    I just started applique about 8 months ago and am curious about the tools of the trade. Thanks so much for sharing.
    Best Wishes,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea for a post--I love to learn new ways to do things!

    ReplyDelete