Friday, September 24, 2010

New Venture

Hi, I'm Gisele & I've decided to finally take the plunge & venture into an applique project. Having followed this wonderful blog for quite some time and taken in all the valuable advice offered by the experts in applique, my decision was made & the Lollipop Trees pattern was ordered.

Some Kaffe fabrics also arrived this week from Glorious Color (the 12 along the bottom) as I felt I could do with just a few more reds & greens to add to my little collection........well a girl always needs a few more doesn't she?
Whilst going through my stash of bright fabrics I came across 3 colourways of Kaffe's Lotus Leaf, this has always been my favourite design of his, but then today's mail brought me Coleus Leaf by Philip Jacobs in teal below........and now I have to admit I have 2 favorites. Aren't the colours in this fabric just wonderful? Do you have a favourite in your stash you just have to get out every now & again to fondle?

So now I'm all set to go & have the difficult decision on fabric combinations for the 1st block. Any advice on this process will be most gratefully received :)

12 comments:

  1. Glad to see that your pattern arrived Giselle - I'm drooling over your fabric collection, the coleus fabric is fabulous. I hope the postman is speedy with the rest of my fabric so that I can get going too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coleus leaves are fabulous....I think I MUST have some! And lollys will be next on my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply divine, Gisele! My only suggestion in choosing colors for your first block would be - pick ONE fabric that you REALLY love. Use it for the dominant pieces. Then use that loved fabric to help guide the other fabric selections for your block. Most of all though, have FUN!!! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must love the blue paperweights as I only have a smidge left. Just when I think I have a good selection, the new lines appear and are more gorgeous than what is on my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you have a ton of fun Giselle, you have some lovely fabrics there. Two of my favourites are the Coleous Leaves and the Philip Jacobs Shell Montage, you can get so much out of them. I like to pick for the biggest pieces as well and then build around them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Philip has three very dense fabrics that I find incredibly useful for the Lollys. They are Floral Burst, Coleus, and Shell Montage. I think I have used nearly every color of all three of those fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It all looks good Gisele. Now we can watch each others progress on this site too.
    Love Shirley.x

    ReplyDelete
  8. we are going to have so much fun, I can't wait to see your first lollipop block, I also can't wait to start my lollipops. I still am amazed at every time I look at the fabric, there is so many different things that can be cut out of one piece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gisele, what yummy fabris you have there! Perfect for the LollyPop trees. Look forward to seeing your blocks! Choose fabrics for the biggest pieces first, then the others will fall into line, its really fun! Kim McL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have heaps of Kaffe favourites, but I think I always love his older cabbage and roses. Have fun putting all these glorious colours into your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all the fabulous tips girls, looking forward to getting stuck into this pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow what beautifull fabrics you got ,I also take out and fondle my favorites , applique is quite alot of work I wish you patience and carefull cutting the shapes I don't have eny ideas of hand I'm sure you got something in mind I will be checking back to see. is this a new blog ?? happy Appliqueing .

    ReplyDelete