Friday, September 10, 2010

Threads

I use similar tools to others for applique so instead of showing the same things, I thought I'd give you a look at my thread caddy. This is mark two, bigger to hold more threads.
I made it in a class with Australian applique artist, Lois French who had the rights to teach it from the originator, Pat Campbell. Lois made some slight changes in her pattern and I'm sorry to say it's not available for sale as a pattern but if you wanted one of your own, they are available for purchase at Pat Campbells website.
The threads I like to use are the Mettler 60 wt embroidery cottons, these are just about the whole set which I collected over a period of time. There are two pockets, one to hold your block and one with a vinyl zippered section to hold tools.

8 comments:

  1. Love love love this Janet, especially your rainbow of threads! Thanks for the link too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous idea Janet and as our very new Dotty Dolly's shop stock that range of thread I have already started my collection. Ho hum! looks like another project on the go.
    Shirley.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. When Karen Kay Buckley came to Toronto Ontario Canada she had Pat Campbells case and I bought it but it doesn`t hold as much as yours!! I love it and I know as an appliquer I could not live without mine with the KM patterns you will need that much thread!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. drooling over that delicious rainbow of thread! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep. I'm quite familiar with those thread bags... ; )

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely way to store thread--thanks for sharing the link!

    ReplyDelete
  7. and if the pattern is not quite long enough we could always lengthen the pattern accordingly to allow more room for threads.... I really do like being able to see the colors all at once

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I just drooled a little? What a gorgeous array of thread..and so nicely organized! Mine is heaped in a large zip lock baggie and I have rummage around to find the color I need. :(

    ReplyDelete